[CS-FSLUG] Eastern disciplines in regard to our faith.

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 01:10:36 CST 2006

On 3/14/06, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

> Here we go (my aforementioned musings on the subject):
>
>         http://asisaid.com/journal/article/920.html

Tim, thanks. I appreciated reading your article.  Here is a link to an
article which I read a couple of years ago, which also helped me to get a
better grip on the subject:

Yoga -- Health or Stealth?

http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=2927

Also, I would like to point interested readers to another free resource
which helped me to develop a better understanding of the so-called "new age"
movement (modern Western interest in Yoga could fit under that umbrella),
and its relationship to orthodox Christianity and to non-Christian Eastern
religions:

Who Do You Say I Am?  with Fr. Mitch Pacwa

http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=842969394&T1=new

"Who Do You Say I Am?" is a 26-part audio presentation that looks at many
different aspects of the New Age movement and mentality. Each segment is
approx. 30 minutes long. The downloads are free, though the recordings are
in RealAudio format (proprietary codec).  Note that Mplayer can be used to
easily convert the ".ra" files to ".wav" files, and then one's favorite
(re)encoder of choice can be used to create MP3s, or AIFF files (great for
burning to CD), or whatever. The mplayer command is:

mplayer -ao pcm:file=younameit.wav somefile.ra

Note also that the files as listed on that webpage are not in broadcast
order; use realplayer or the mplayer gui to view the "clip info" of the
files you download, which will tell you the segment number. For example, the
first file, "Inside the Brain," is actually #14.

Fr. Pacwa really did the Christian community a great service in putting
together this series -- he is a no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy,
and I think you'll appreciate his insights. See also his book:

Catholics and the New Age

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089283756X/sr=8-1/qid=1142318801/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1172408-8998563?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Enjoy!

In Christ,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

P.S.  There is such a thing as Eastern Christianity which, although smaller
in numbers than Western Christianity (Roman Catholic, Protestant), is just
as ancient and legitimate as; and which should not be confused with
non-Christian religions and philosophies of the East, such as Buddhism,
Hindiusm, Taoism, etc.  Some of you know this, of course, some of you may
not.   :-)

--
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life . . ." (John 14:6)

My home on the Net ::
   http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/

IC XC NIKA