[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 6 20:02:39 CST 2006

 >> I agree: "Stay away from *every form* of evil"
 >>
 >> We do not allow our children to read many common
 >> "fairy tales and ancient literature" because they
 >> are vehicles for the lies of the Enemy.  doc
 >
 > Do you really think so? Personally, I like the view
 > of the Renaissance that even the ancient pagan
 > literature foreshadows Christ.  ssbf

And Satan knows the Bible better, and uses it more
effectively, than most Christians.  So?

I find the "Gee, some old dead white guys in the very
worldly Renaissance said it was a good idea ..."
argument unpersuasive.

I think y'all are missing the point that it is about
subtle deception.

While the "parable" or "lesson for life" or the
acknowledgment of the essentials of the Jesus story
is embedded so is some really bad stuff.

Islam acknowledges Christ and shares a lot of text
with the Bible.  Should we propose that Islam is
equally true alongside Christianity?

We had originally been emphasizing the selection of
appropriate materials for children, who even more so
than immature adults, are incapable of sorting the
"gold from the dross" and as an end result tend to
record it all as equally true.

This is why we today have so many who engage in
moral equivalence between Islamic terrorists and
American actions to liberate an enslaved people.

Also, someone mentioned Narnia.  I have never been
real happy with the way Lewis assembled that work.
I think many of the images are very confusing for
children and Biblically immature adults.

Our children have seen it but we made a point of
processing the movie with them.

The Passion of Christ suffered from the same
messiness of distracting images and some odd
obsessions injected by Gibson.  My wife and I
saw that at the theater.

Quite frankly there are much better movies
based on the Bible out there.

doc