[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 08:48:34 CST 2006

On 3/3/06, 'Mash <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... If I was to believe that reading the Potter books would actually
> benefit me as a person other then increasing my general knowledge at
> the dinner table I would read them. But to be honest there are
> hundreds upon hundreds of good books out there instead. Potter
> fanaticism (IMHO) was and is the product of the media and of adults
> who had never picked up a good book before suddenly being exposed to
> generally good and easy to read story. It was of course a children's
> book ... The greatest thing we can give kids is to show them what is is
> ugly
> and what is beautiful in the eyes of God. Simple truths and then
> giving them the choice when they are at an age of understanding.

I've been keeping up with this discussion thread -- interesting stuff.
Please allow me toss in a few links to some articles which might provide you
with additional "food for thought" regarding this matter:

Vatican's Chief Exorcist Repeats Condemnation of Harry Potter Novels

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/mar/06030104.html

Harry Potter: Divergent Views
(collection of links to relevant articles of Christian author's with
differing viewpoints on the value and/or danger of the Potter books)

http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=2867

Harry Potter vs. Gandalf:  An in-depth analysis of the literary use of magic
in the works of J. K. Rowling, J. R. R. Tolkien, and C. S. Lewis

(I posted this link one time before in another CS-FSLUG thread; it's
definitely relevant to this discussion, so I'm posting it again)

http://www.decentfilms.com/sections/articles/2567

In Christ

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life . . ." (John 14:6)

My home on the Net ::
   http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/

IC XC NIKA