[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 00:41:45 CST 2006

On 3/5/06, David M. Colburn. D.Min., MACo. <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Here is an illustration of the problem of incremental surrender
> to the deception of the Enemy.
>
>  > ... you can get far worse material in fairy tales and ancient
>  > literature
>
> Merely because spiritually destructive literature was present
> in the past does not in any way serve as an argument against
> spiritually destructive literature in the present.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious how you consider the
Chronicles of Narnia? I've met several strict missionary families that
do consider those books acceptable on the grounds that the book set is
an allusion to parts of the bible, and I have read them myself.

On the other hand I personally don't like Harry Potter either because
it presents witchcraft to kids in a form as to encourage it. The
environments often very dark, and the characters in the book are very
condescending and empowered over ordinary human beings in the book in
such a way as to attempt to illicit feelings of disdain towards those
who aren't magical in some way. I do feel they encourage a strong
attraction to witchcraft to those who like to fantasize and those who
are not mentally competent. I even knew someone who was mentally ill,
and after reading the Harry Potter books he started playing with tarot
cards and the idea of witchcraft. At one point, ignorant of what the
Harry Potter books were about, I did actually buy and try to read one
of the books. I didn't read more than the first few chapters before I
stopped, and I'd have to agree that it certainly doesn't live up to
the hype, it seemed geared towards a pre-teen audience and I was
absolutely dumbfounded that adults could rave about the book series
never mind read it. Of course the childishness of the books wouldn't
be as obvious in movies adapted to appeal to a wider age range. Of
course this is all my opinion and I don't expect other's to agree with
it, I do very much support the idea of protecting kids from that kind
of literature until they are old enough to deal with it.