[CS-FSLUG] school dress code, was Re: OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Thu Mar 2 23:31:44 CST 2006

Nathan T. wrote:
> I'll toss in my $0.02
>
> Frankly as someone still attending school I feel these remarks to
> reflect a lot of persecution. Why force students to wear uniforms and
> not adults eh? Sure you have to in some environments even as an adult,
> but that's so people can identify you if you work at MacDonald's or
> some other such establishment and those uniforms are usually just a
> dress code and a branded shirt. Besides that there are no dress codes
> for "adults", and there are no uniforms in any colleges or
> universities that I know of because "adults" would reject them.
> Uniforms in themselves are discrimination, forcing everyone to wear
> clothes they had no say in choosing, not allowing students to have
> pockets for fear that they might being knives or guns to school, those
> are all prejudices. It's easy to take away people's rights when you're
> not part of the group being oppressed.
>
> I wear sweatshirts, unbuttoned shirts over t-shirts, and baggy
> clothing to camouflage my size, taking away my right to dress that way
> would make me very angry.

Nathan, your view is typical of someone who hasn't been there. As an
adult and father of 4 children, I know where you are and where you will
be. I thought similar thoughts when I was in high school. As an adult
there are uniforms, but you have to be discerning enough to determine
what that uniform is. In some tech environments there is little, but if
you are in a business environment, then there may be ties(uhg). If you
don't recognize the uniform, and fail to conform, then you will pay a
penalty.

There are Christian and other private colleges that have uniforms or
dress codes. It has nothing to do with prejudice. It has to do with
discipline and distraction. Uniforms are a way to avoid dealing with
discipline issues over clothing. A uniform is clear. You wear the
uniform, and there is no discussion. Problems over clothes can take a
lot out of a school's time, that is better spent educating you.

As far as discrimination and oppression, all I have to say is you will
grow up. Groups that are truly oppressed deserve more respect than to be
compared to children being told what to wear. You must understand that
you have very few choices that are not given to you by your parents.
They are responsible for everything you do and say. They give you the
right to choose your clothes, and they can take it away if what you
choose is measured as inappropriate. Schools have the same right to say
what they think is appropriate on their property, and your parents have
influence in that decision through a school board or what ever parent
board that is associated with a private school.

As far as adults rejecting uniforms, well my dad wore a suit and tie for
years. I wore a paramedics uniform for years. My wife, father in law,
and father all wore a US Navy uniform for years. Adults don't reject. As
a matter of fact, many seek to wear them with pride. I know I did.