[CS-FSLUG] OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Mar 2 20:48:27 CST 2006

> You may have built the foundation upon which
> they will easily justify reading (and believing)
> the Koran, the Da Vinci Code, and worse.  It is,
> IMO, time to start worrying.

	Nah. Perhaps they should read those too -- once they have a mature
faith. Different levels of material are appropriate at different
times. I own a Qu'ran. I own the Book of Mormon. (I don't own the Tao
Te Ching, but wouldn't hesitate.) I have a collection of materials
from Christian Scientists, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. I've spent time
reading Unitarian propaganda. I don't consider them sacred, but it is
useful to know them. Faith that is too weak to be tested needs to be
developed to the point that it can withstand testing. If faith will
fail after reading the Qu'ran, it wasn't really faith at all, but
simply a comfort with the status quo. Probably just as well to do
away with it than live with a false sense of security.

	I agree with Josh McDowell on the Da Vinci Code. It is an absolutely
engrossing *fictional* book. It is one of the best novels I've read.
It is fiction, utterly and totally. Like good fiction, it uses
realistic situations and real places, people, and so on... but its
fiction! McDowell recommends everyone read the book and see the
movie... and then read his book that explains how exactly it is
fiction. I think that sounds like a brilliant idea.

	Most people commenting on the Da Vinci Code haven't read it. Again,
that means you're judging the book by the words of a few people that
like getting on soap boxes. Challenge its historicity to those who
think it is a good overview of the Church... but most of us read it
for what it is. (And, the characters associated with the CC don't
come out looking evil -- you actually feel bad for them at the end of
the book, for in the attempt to protect the Faith they love they have
been pulled into a con by a nasty guy who wants to destroy the
Church. The "bad guy" fails to do anything to the Church, btw.)

	What shall we as Christians ban? Shall we throw out Shakespeare? He
has magic, sex, cursing, violence and so on. Shall we throw out
Homer? He has pagan gods! Shall we throw away Wordsworth and Keats?
They weren't Christian and their poetry sounds more deistic than
Christian. Lewis saw much of the Old Testament as myth. Luther was a
bigot, and Aquinas had some questionable areas too. The Constitution
was written by a bunch of Deists... and the Declaration of
Independence seems to lean too heavily on Deistic ideas of
revelation. Where do we draw the line?

> They watch Veggie Tales, Prayer Bear, the Donut
> Man, Bob the Builder, Dr Seuss, Beginners Bible,
> some selected Thomas the Train, Winnie the Pooh,
> and a variety of carefully screened videos from
> the public library, etc.

	And what does that accomplish? I mean that seriously and
respectfully. Now, I'm not suggesting you take your children out to
Brokeback Mountain. Based on your selections, they probably aren't
old enough for Harry Potter either. But let's say five years from
now... will you still be carefully selecting prescreened videos?
Those who live an entirely sheltered life away from anything that
makes them think have no reason to build up a defense... a strong
faith that can weather the occasional time when "facts" seem to argue
against belief. I'm not saying facts ever do -- notice the scare
quotes in the last line -- but sometimes something will *seem* like
it does, and during that time before one sees why it is otherwise,
faith needs to be strong enough to "seek truth knowing there can be
no conflict between God and truth."

	Quick digression (let's not discuss this topic in and of itself,
just consider it as an example). Let's say someone invents a time
machine and goes back 65 million years and finds dinosaurs, and goes
back further and further... and Darwin turns out to be right on
target. Suddenly millions would lose their faith. But, that wasn't
faith at all -- it was all just a comfortable status quo of
attributing mystery to some god. My God is not a "god of the gaps,"
I'm not endorsing evolution, but if somehow someway it could be
proven absolutely and certainly true, that would not change my faith.
Do you see what I mean? We must build a strong faith, and not hide
potential challenges out of fear they might hurt faith.

	Faith is like a oyster. If it never receives an irritant, it is just
an oyster. If you drop a bolder on it, you smash it. But if you
carefully supply just a little drop of irritant in a measured way,
you instead get a beautiful pearl.

> The Bible is very clear about the difference and
> saves particularly strong words about the consequences
> of tolerating the latter.

	What you read and what you believe are not the same. Knowing and
understanding something is very different from agreeing with it and
condoning it. I spent some time last year reading an excellent series
of essays by utilitarian philosopher Peter Singer. I disagree with
him strongly, yet I benefited from the experience. Nietzsche may have
been mad, but he says some worthwhile things too (including the quote
in my signature).

	Ignorance is not the key to faith, knowledge is.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Not  every end  is the  goal.  The end  of a
Editor, OfB.biz   | melody is not its goal,  and yet if  a melody
tbutler at ofb.biz   | has not  reached its end , it has not reached
timothybutler.us  | its goal."
                                            -- Friedrich Nietzsche