[CS-FSLUG] school dress code, was Re: OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

David Colburn edoc7 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 00:40:08 CST 2006

The key questions re. school property dress code are:

1. Does the choice of dress have any impact on the
intellectual learning process?

2.  Does the choice of dress have any impact on the
value-system learning process?

3.  Does the battle between administration and students
re. choice of dress have a threshold where it in and of
itself has an impact on the learning process?

Although never a Roman Catholic I attended a RC HS.
The girls fought a never-ending battle of rolled-up or
pulled-up skirts and too-tight, too-transparent, too-
unbuttoned blouses.

Impact?

1.  Yes.  The boys were far more interested in what
they might glimpse across the aisle than what was
being written on the blackboard.

2.  Yes.  Inevitably the boys competed for what the
exposed flesh marketed rather than the values merely
preached by teachers and administrators who created
the uniform rules that exposed so much temptation.

3.  Yes.  Because the uniforms were foolishly designed
girls were removed from the classroom to have hemlines
measured!  Had the bottoms been slacks it would have
eliminated much of the problem!

Sidebar:  Male friends at the government "public" HS
remarked that they loved any interaction with the RC
HS because it was the only time they ever saw a girl's
legs.  The girls at their HS all wore slacks.  The
dress code had failed miserably.

IMHO, YMMV ... doc