[CS-FSLUG] school dress code, was Re: OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Wed Mar 1 22:50:22 CST 2006

I am not that sure about Rowling's greediness.  I am quite sure of the
publisher's.

Thus I second that, if you want to read her books, just wait until they
make it to the second hand market (Scholastic has the Sorcere's stone
for 95 cents).

IMHO they are very well written, pretty much on a par with the best of
contemporary fiction.  Theologically, I don't care much.  If I were to
only read nihil obstated stuff, I'd be quite limited, which actually
might be better...

Then, I do find quite sad how some believers, with better intentions
than arguments, choose to attack her market success without
understanding that it mainly shows a NEED.  When Christians build a
little good controversy such as with the Passion, they too can get
things across...

By the way, Tim, the books are WAY better than the movies.  I don't
think I will go see the following ones.  Besides some cute special
effects, the movies seem to be directed to that 'dumbed down' population
edoc mentions.  Not that they're not fun, but I'd rather in my case,
stay with the books.

One specific thing I got from the movies: I am making myself a nuisance
in the (Christian) school where I teach by insisting in proper dress
code compliance, specifically requiring shirts tucked in.  I became this
way after watching the sophomoric Hogwarts crowd in action.

BTW, this is totally off topic, but, what do you think of that issue?  I
am not happy either way. I mean, the line has to be drawn somewhere
between what is inappropriate attire (extremes: spagetti straps, belly
showing shirts, low hanging pants) and what to require and enforce.  I
have chosen to be conservative in what I mandate, and so far I have the
faculty's support, but the older kids are a bit rebellious and a few
parents seem to be on that side.  I just would rather find a way we can
enforce by consensus.

Yama