[CS-FSLUG] Networking two Linspire boxes

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 15:28:19 CDT 2006

I guess there should be some clarification here.  Yes, in my original
post I did mention that I was using a router.  It is a Linksys
"Cable/DSL Router"  with 4 ports.  I connected the Win Box and Lin Box
to it and also the Motorolla Surfboard Cable Modem.  It works fine
this way to allow both computers to access the cable.   I tried
without the router first (why spend money on what you dont need) by
connecting the two computers with an ethernet connection and allowing
the Lin Box to be the access to the cable and the other thru the Lin
Box.  NEVER could get that to work so bit the bullet and bought the
$100 router.

BUT I was never able to get the two boxes to share files.

NOW I am planing on replacing the Win Box with a more up to date
computer and am considering a Lin Box to replace it so that BOTH
computers will be on the same OS.  Hoping this would solve the file
sharing problem.

On 7/25/06, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Chris Brault <gginorio at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> [snip]
> > That consumer grade "Best Buy" routers act as either an internal or
> > external router. They either help you share the Internet or provide
> > local networking but not both. That said, I have gotten boxes to SSH and
> > such using the internal ip's, so something is definitely possible using
> > that.
>
> I didn't see any mention of routers in there, but fwiw I've had non
> stop trouble trying to get Windows to behave when networked to Linux
> machines. In fact, I've given up and am instead opting to get a
> network file server when I have the funds for it. Taking windows out
> of the network equation makes networking easier imo.
>
> If you look here there's a collection of Prentice Hall books from
> Bruce Peren's Open Source Series available for download as PDFs. Two
> of the ones available are for Samba:
> http://www.phptr.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=1484&rl=1
>
> If there is a router on the network then investigation is in order,
> I've found that my D-Link router is unreliable as a router depending
> on the ISP, but would make good nice hub with more features than hubs
> have. Personally I don't think I'm going to buy D-Link again until
> I've tried out the competition, Netgear routers are the most visually
> pleasing, but Linksys have the best reputation and a hefty price tag
> to match.

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."