[CS-FSLUG] Networking two Linspire boxes

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 03:11:28 CDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Chris Brault <gginorio at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[snip]
> That consumer grade "Best Buy" routers act as either an internal or
> external router. They either help you share the Internet or provide
> local networking but not both. That said, I have gotten boxes to SSH and
> such using the internal ip's, so something is definitely possible using
> that.

I didn't see any mention of routers in there, but fwiw I've had non
stop trouble trying to get Windows to behave when networked to Linux
machines. In fact, I've given up and am instead opting to get a
network file server when I have the funds for it. Taking windows out
of the network equation makes networking easier imo.

If you look here there's a collection of Prentice Hall books from
Bruce Peren's Open Source Series available for download as PDFs. Two
of the ones available are for Samba:
http://www.phptr.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=1484&rl=1

If there is a router on the network then investigation is in order,
I've found that my D-Link router is unreliable as a router depending
on the ISP, but would make good nice hub with more features than hubs
have. Personally I don't think I'm going to buy D-Link again until
I've tried out the competition, Netgear routers are the most visually
pleasing, but Linksys have the best reputation and a hefty price tag
to match.