[CS-FSLUG] My new distro

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Jan 24 16:41:08 CST 2006

Chris Brault wrote:

> Until then, congratulation on selecting a distro that
> makes you happy. I hope it keeps life interesting ...
> just not too interesting (If you know what I mean). By
> the way, it's nice to see you appreciating speed and
> flexibility in a distro; That's a very tech savvy
> attitude.

Yes, do let us know that works out with Slax on the jump drive. If it
works with one brand, it should work with others.

I'll jump in to describe my experience with Kanotix. That's the same
idea as Knoppix, but far less radical. Once installed, it's a mild and
conservative mix of Debian testing and unstable. Kano makes his own
kernel and a few addons for eye candy; for example, the default in KDE
is Konsole with semi-transparent black background.

The hardware detection beats just about anything I've seen, but it's
just a slight tweak on the famous Knoppix one. Because it's tuned for
1586/i686, it runs pretty fast compared to most. I've been watching the
various system monitors on the Linux distros and FreeBSD on this one
machine. I would have to say it's a toss-up between FreeBSD tweaked for
Intel P4 and this one. Actually, I believe Kanotix doing the same work
as FreeBSD offers a slightly smaller footprint.

There is a light version which installs less stuff, so there's less to
remove once it's on the harddrive. The one really big drawback is
Qparted is broken. When the installer utility gets to the partitioning
step, it doesn't necessarily do what you tell it to, nor what it tells
you it's doing. I had to modify the fstab by hand to pick up the
separate home partition.

Otherwise, I heartily recommend it as a live-run, and guardedly as an
installable distro. New release should be out any day now.

--
Ed Hurst