[CS-FSLUG] My new distro

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 15:48:36 CST 2006

Groovin Dude,

> I have finally settled on a distribution that works
> for me. I am now running puppy 1.0.7. It comes with
> Mozilla 1.8b1.5 and several other neat utilities. It
> can be run from CD or installed to the hard drive.
> It also gives a choice between xvesa and xorg for
> the xserver. I am using xorg and it works nicely. I
> love it.

I was just looking into puppy. I tried Fox Desktop
(based on FC4) but it isn't ready for prime time ...
atleast not yet. Right now I'm experimenting with
different desktops using Ubuntu (Fluxbox, Xfce, e17,
KDE, Gnome).

I'm also experimenting with booting SLAX from a 128
USB key. It even works sometimes. In case you don't
know, SLAX is a module based distro; It has several
bases (CLI only, Server, Desktop + a few utils or full
featured) to which the user adds modules. By placing
the .mo files in the /modules folder, the software is
added or removed form the live distro. I am using the
"Popcorn" base (Xfce4, Firefox1.5, Gaim and Abiword);
I added Bluefish, a driver for my video card and the
Gimp (and it's still under 128M). If I get it working,
I'll let you know.

Until then, congratulation on selecting a distro that
makes you happy. I hope it keeps life interesting ...
just not too interesting (If you know what I mean). By
the way, it's nice to see you appreciating speed and
flexibility in a distro; That's a very tech savvy
attitude.

Gabe