[CS-FSLUG] Real Player Rhapsode for Linux

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Jan 22 18:24:19 CST 2006

> Have you ever seen the release the industry makes artists sign?
> Unless
> you are big, BIG <humongous>BIG</humongous> already, you basically
> have
> to give up on any rights not specifically given to you - and those are
> very few.  If you don't sign that, they won't give you a chance.

	True, but at least they do make a living (if they succeed at all).
It isn't ideal, I'll give you that. But, actually, places like iTunes
are changing that. iTMS has, I am told, picked up a lot of indie
labels, and hence is providing the opportunity to make available
smaller time artists at smaller time labels.

> Bottom line, copyrights do not benefit artists, but companies.  Yes,

	I don't think that's true. Copyrights benefit just about everyone --
even the Free Software community. Without copyrights, even the GPL
would cease to function. (The FSF and others support copyrights.)

> Something that burns my heart is that the NIV is copyrighted, and
> so are
> a lot of "Christian" resources, like the "Jesus" film (the hoops I had
> to go through to get an Aymara copy, that wife and I eventually
> shown to
> hundreds of Bolivian campesinos is quite something - and probably when
> we did it still wasn't "legal").

	I think, again copyrights are good, although I have a hard time with
the restrictive "license" under which a lot of evangelistic tools are
placed. Something like the Jesus film should be fairly unrestricted
(but not entirely -- you shouldn't be able to alter it in a way that
would make it anti-Christian, for instance).

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Every ant  knows the  formula of its ant-hill,
Editor, OfB.biz   | every  bee knows  the formula  of its  beehive.
tbutler at ofb.biz   | They know it  in their own way, not in our way.
timothybutler.us  | Only humankind does not know its own formula."
                                               -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky