[CS-FSLUG] Real Player Rhapsode for Linux

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Sun Jan 22 17:04:51 CST 2006

> that fair use once you've payed for it? Absolutely not! Allowing the
> recording industry to use DRM and other such measures is like having
> criminals as guards in a prison where only the innocent are locked up.

Have you ever seen the release the industry makes artists sign?  Unless
you are big, BIG <humongous>BIG</humongous> already, you basically have
to give up on any rights not specifically given to you - and those are
very few.  If you don't sign that, they won't give you a chance.

Bottom line, copyrights do not benefit artists, but companies.  Yes,
there's all those crying heart adverts on which sound engineers, etc say
how they gain their livelihoods.  But take a look at any big media motor
pool or storage area:  no honest business in earth could survive the
amount of waste those guys operate with as a margin.  Here in Austin is
the Austin Film Society. It looks that if they had moved, quite a bit of
New Orleans would have had temporary housing, just looking at the rows
and rows of RVs, trucks, mobile kitchens, etc.  And we are small
compared with California, etc.

Good stewardship of God's Creation (something I hold as a C. duty), is
definitely incompatible with anything big media stands for.  As a writer
and artist I once believed in copyrights.  Now I am convinced that if
there is a duty I have about the talents that God has given me, it is to
share them, as freely as possible.

Something that burns my heart is that the NIV is copyrighted, and so are
a lot of "Christian" resources, like the "Jesus" film (the hoops I had
to go through to get an Aymara copy, that wife and I eventually shown to
hundreds of Bolivian campesinos is quite something - and probably when
we did it still wasn't "legal").

Haven't had time to visit in detail the link mentioned, but it looks way OK!

Yama