[CS-FSLUG] OT: Re-introductions.

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 5 22:16:18 CST 2006

My computer days started in the early 70's at college
where we were required to use punch cards because
video terminals on the mainframe were reserved for
seniors and grad students.

I tried to switch to a computer major and thought
a course in Fortran would show the way, it did, right
back out!  Math never was my strength.

Am mostly self-taught, worked briefly at Heathkit where
we sold some punch-tape and audio/date cassette tape based
computers.

Moved on to bring computers into political campaigns
in NH in the early 80's and big time by the late 80's.

Served as systems manager for NH Office of Emerg. Mgmt.
for a couple of years, was recruited to CT by a plastics
mfg. company, then was hired away by their database
provider (that was ugly).

Left all of that for Seminary after coming to faith.
Limped through Seminary using an ancient Wang PC with
big floppy disks and prayed ernestly every time I powered
it up!

Have worked with Digital VAX-VMS and their neo-compatible
pc line, WANG word processing mini, pc's back to the early
IBM days, Apples, DOS, DBase+, MS Windows since the early
days, and increasingly Linux over the past several years.

Am moving toward 100% Puppy Linux now at v. 1.0.7 on both
desktops and laptops as well as Linux on a Sharp Zaurus
5600 handheld PC.

My other geeky hobby is Amateur Radio where we use computers
for all sorts of interesting things!

Currently serve as minister of discipleship at our church,
am an adjunct professor and PT counselor, have been toying
with a new book business, and when bored am trying to
landscape our property here in west central Florida!

Hope I have not bored y'all to tears!

--
A blessed New Year to all!
David Colburn, D.Min., M.A.Co.