[CS-FSLUG] OT: Re-introductions.

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Jan 3 18:08:29 CST 2006

I started using RedHat 5.1 when it was new. I dithered back and forth
between RH and SuSE (and Windows some) back then they both ran through
6.x and 7.x releases. I tried Mandrake 8.0 and 9.2 (but refuse to
consider that again). I've tested Debian and quite a few Debian-based
distros and have lost all interest. Of the various Linux distros, my
favorite is CentOS, with little likelihood that will change.

However, I don't run much Linux. I discovered FreeBSD a couple of years
ago. After switching back and forth for awhile between that and the
later SUSE and CentOS releases, I've settled firmly with FreeBSD, and
now running 6.0. I recently completed a complete overhaul, using the
highest level of code optimization possible on the entire pile of
software on my system. I've worked my way through tons of donated and
used hardware, currently using an old Pavilion 542X, and have an even
older Gateway Solo 2500 laptop running FreeBSD 5.4.

I'm a disabled veteran (50%) so I don't actually work at all. However, I
am currently offering a computer helps ministry in my area, and may yet
convince my local monster church to support it. Otherwise, I'm an
ordained Baptist minister, wannabe writer, Associate Editor at Ofb.biz,
a moderator of this list, and administrator of a men's ministry forum
for my church. I'm an active blogger (see sig), and have a ton of
articles on my private sites covering Bible application (including
politics), Linux fonts issues, FreeBSD installation and setup, and
general Open Source promotion. For five years I was certified to teach
Social Studies in public school.

I'm currently working on a "hall of shame" article of bad corporate
ISPs, plus looking into some interesting undergound patriot stuff,
conspiracy theories, and other forms of entertainment. I am...

--
Ed Hurst