[CS-FSLUG] Linux Laptop Support

David McGlone dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 3 05:44:29 CST 2006

On Mon January 2 2006 5:21 pm, Brian Derr wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 10:13 -0500, David McGlone wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Also when I use either sleep or hibernation, for some reason I lose
> > connection to my network and have to  reboot to be able to access my
> > network again, but when I use the screen saver instead of hibernate
> > everything works out ok. I think there might be a bug in kpowersave, but
> > then again it may be that my settings in yast and kpowersave are
> > conflicting with each other.
>
> It could be your ethernet driver does not properly store it's state on a
> suspend.  For those interested there is some information in pm.txt found
> in the kernel documentation.  Like I said previously, suspending and
> hibernating in linux are rather new and probably will not work like
> their Windows counterparts.
>
> David, I don't understand how your connection to the internet doesn't
> get interrupted but the connection to your LAN does.  Do you have two
> NICs?  Private IP, static IP?  What are the details?

I wish I knew Brian. I just now opened my laptop and fetched my mail but can't
access my network. I'm still trying to figure this all out.

I only have 1 NIC, and with DSL I have dynamic IP. Since I'm still trying to
figure all this out, I don't permenatley shut down Kpowersave and somewhere
between last night and tonight it got started back up and when I got up this
morning it was running  and I haven't rebooted and I can access the internet
but can't access my network shares.

It's still a mystery to me. I had it working just fine a few weeks ago, but I
decided to remove windows from my laptop all together and so I re-partitioned
and re-installed SuSE and now I can't seem to get it working the way I once
had it.

David M.