[CS-FSLUG] OT: Re-introductions.

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:33:44 CST 2006

I've been surprised a few times to see people from this list at all
sorts of different places, there are at least three journalists in
this list for significant Linux news sites, and just now I spotted
Leon Brooks' name over at the Mandriva RPM howto. That was pretty
cool, but what makes it cooler was that it happened only a day or two
after I ran into some comments Tim made on OSNews (I wasn't actually
in that one particular discussion).

It seems people in this list have gotten around a fair bit, but I'm
sorry to say I've forgotten a lot of you. I was wondering if some
people might be interested in re-introducing themselves.

As for me, I've been in this list long enough I should remember more
of you, but I can only remember a handfull.

Might as well start with the re-introductions.
I'm Nathan, I've been in this list for a few years now. I've had my
ups and downs, I tried to leave one time when I was especially
depressed but Tim caught me and I used my switching to GMail as a
cover story so no one else would have to know. I used to pollute the
list endlessly with talk about programming, it's my hobby and I've
amassed a sizeable collection of books on the subject. My first
distribution was Storm Linux 2000, but I can't remember when that was
any more, the first distribution I really got into was Mandrake and no
matter how many times I've tried to escape it I'm still using it
today. Recently I've been doing volunteer work for Ark Linux, but I
can't stand using it as my main Linux distribution (it works, but it's
not the way I want Linux) so I try my best to get it to work in
emulators so I can use Mandriva. I've spend a few years complaining
about Linux, but when I started doing volunteer work for Ark that
quickly disappeared and now I think I know enough about it to take
care of myself in Mandrake at the very least.

I'm just finishing off my last year of high school, and it's really
taking a bite out of me, especially since we have another move coming
up and I'm torn between staying behind and going. I don't like talking
about my life prior to the move to Saskatchewan, things here have been
fairly good in comparison to what it was like before. I know I've got
some friends in this list, and I can even name a handfull of 'em, but
since it's been a few years I must admit I've forgotten who was in
this list. Plus some of you have been quiet for a very long time, I'm
starting to wonder if some of you might have snuck away.

What do I do now? Well as I've said I'm finishing my last year of high
school, I build packages for Ark when I can ( and when the build
server is actually working :-p ), I've also tried on and off to
maintain a monthly distribution list in here which should be a little
more reliable now that I've got most of it automated. I've also
already mentioned that outside of school I'm learning how to program,
currently with C++, Qt and Ruby.

My short term goals are to get another job so I can save up to put
together a separate cheap box for Ark Linux so I don't have to make it
work in QEmu. I've also taken a big interest in using Linux as the
backbone for networks and I want to experiment with that and make a
file/print server with it (every home with more than one computer
should have one ;-) ). Of course finishing high school is also
important.

My long term goals right now are to make it to retirement with enough
money to retire, I'll add more to the list when I figure more out.