[CS-FSLUG] A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Jason P. Franklin jpfagapeu at mac.com
Thu Dec 28 17:42:30 CST 2006

Hey all,

Total ignorant here... I've been reading the document and it's a bit above
my head.  I'm hoping someone can help me out a bit.

Quoted from Disabling of Functionality:
"Since S/PDIF doesn't provide any content protection, Vista requires that it
be disabled when playing protected content [Note D].  In other words if
you've sunk a pile of money into a high-end audio setup fed from an S/PDIF
digital output, you won't be able to use it with protected content.
Similarly, component (YPbPr) video will be disabled by Vista's content
protection, so the same applies to a high- end video setup fed from
component video."

What does this mean in plain English?  I know what S/PDIF is (at least a
layman's understanding).  Could someone give specific examples...the one
used is a bit too general for me to understand fully.

Thanks.

Jason P. Franklin
Husband/Father/Missionary
Westwood Bible Fellowship