[CS-FSLUG] A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:09:50 CST 2006

On 12/28/06, Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
>
> This document looks purely at the cost of the technical portions of
> Vista's
> content protection [Note A].  The political issues (under the heading of
> DRM) have been examined in exhaustive detail elsewhere and won't be
> commented on further, unless it's relevant to the cost analysis.  However,
> one important point that must be kept in mind when reading this document
> is
> that in order to work, Vista's content protection must be able to violate
> the laws of physics, something that's unlikely to happen no matter how
> much
> the content industry wishes it were possible [Note B].

Thanks Frank,

This is one that got sent to me, and I posted on LXer.  Interestingly, it
generated far less discussion than I had expected.  However, I think it
really is an important piece.  So many of us are fighting for libre hardware
drivers, and Vista, or rather, Microsoft, fights to eliminate them.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Editor, Free Software Advocate