[CS-FSLUG] A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Dec 28 17:47:44 CST 2006

Hey, Jason,
	I haven't read the article, but I'll take a stab at it. Vista has
DRM support for HD content, especially, but also other types of
content. Depending on the particular restrictions of the DRM, the
video may not play (or may play at a reduced quality) unless you are
using a a/v connection that keeps the content encrypted on its way to
the display.

	S/PDIF and Component have decoded information. So if you pop in a
Blu-Ray disc and view it using component video, you could then
capture the information and copy it with only minimal quality loss.
Conversely, it would be much more impossible (without modifying your
electronics) to capture the video if it were sent over an HDMI cable.
HDMI has encryption that delivers the content to the audio and video
units without exposing it to potential copying.

	-Tim