[CS-FSLUG] College / University

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 12 21:04:02 CST 2006

> As a word of encouragement... I had one database class in 4 years of
> college. And frankly, didn't learn a whole lot. For the past 12 years
> I've been working on a database based application. The skills matter.
> With the right skills you'll pick up on the specifics needed for any
> job. Robert W.

If I may echo that ...

My first and last college computer course was
Fortran -- I am math-challenged.  Needless to say
I had to drop it.

It was self-learning after that and I ended up
bringing computers and database tracking into
a pre-presidential and presidential primary
campaign in NH in 1986 followed by a number of
other political applications.

Later I served as the systems manager for the
NH Office of Emergency Management, was hired
away to a plastics manufacturer based in CT,
and after that by the company who made the
database app they used.  That was in the 90's
bubble where anyone could get a computer job and
at good pay!  :-)

Making good contacts is important, keeping your
eyes and ears open is important, and the best
opportunities rarely are posted anywhere -- hiring
is "inside" though word of mouth and recommendations.

Get doing what you love in an organization you
respect and be the best.

--

Respectfully,  David
Thank our brave soldiers this season: