[CS-FSLUG] College / University

John Mark Clayton clayton256 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 13:13:32 CST 2006

Nathan,
IMHO, you should get a CS degree at the U with the best program you can
possibly afford.  Ivy league if possible.  One additional factor is go to a
school with an excellent recruiting program.  What good is a degree if you.
can't get an interview.
I live near Boston, MA and i was a programmer/software Engr for 13 years.
Yes, I started with DOS and CP/M.  I was even pretty good at it and worked
really hard.  It one point I was making a six figure salary.  Now, I can't
find
programming work at any salary.  I'm working as a yacht mechanic for half
the above salary.  Recruiter that I've used in the past (if they're even
working)
are telling me that everyone wants recent CS grads.  No room for the old
timers.  Beside, a lot of work in now being done outside the states.  That's
trend I see continuing.
A programming career can be very challenging.  Get used to "things at work
are spinning out of control and I'm coming home exhausted."  "Because of
how difficult work has been, the managers' desire to keep cost down at the
expense of being understaffed" pretty much sums up my experience as a
programmer.  I highly recommend you get an internship as soon a possible.
Can you use your high school to get an internship prior to college?
While at the internship learn everything you can.  Not just technical thing
because technology changes fast. but how the place operates.  Ask yourself
can you live like that "for the remainder of my adult life."
Now the disclaimer.  I hope others chime in with a more positive reply.  My
career burnt me out and wrecked my marriage.  Still, 5 years after my last
programming job, we haven't be able to reconcile.  I believe Jesus wants us
back together so I'm trying to trust him to sooth her heart.  Anyhow, the
point is I may be very biased.
Oh another thing.  Don't put so much emphasis in the books to learn
languages and toolkits.  Learn good practises of solid and defensive
programming and algorithms.  Languages change and/or coming in and
out of favor, toolkits come and go with the marketing hype.  But good
programming skills are always applicable in any language with any tools.
Lastly, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have so feel
free to contact me.
Mark

clayton256 at gmail.com