[CS-FSLUG] College / University

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 05:13:33 CST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 14:13 -0500, John Mark Clayton wrote:
> Oh another thing.  Don't put so much emphasis in the books to learn
> languages and toolkits.  Learn good practises of solid and defensive
> programming and algorithms.

This may be a bit off topic, but in my experience it's impossible to
learn anything in a vacuum. There's no sense in talking about
programming outside of a programming language. Even pseudo-code that the
so-called 'computer scientists use is a language (and one allows you to
confuse yourself very quickly).

My experience is that if you try to teach concepts without real, working
example, the learner ends up taking quite a bit longer to figure things
out and usually ends up understanding only part of what is going on.