[CS-FSLUG] LCD screens and Warranties

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:45:47 CDT 2006

I tried calling yesterday, by the time I had gotten through I was
given a pre-recorded message stating that I had missed their hours.
Now the warranty is over. Frankly now that I know there's nothing I
can do about it, it's not such a big deal any more, only the two
blotches are noticably visible, and not only are they to the side of
the screen, but I'm getting used to them being there and it's doesn't
bother me much any more.

This is a little unfortunate, but on the other hand now that the
machine isn't in pristine condition any more I'm no longer perpetually
worried about keeping it safe and indoors.

On 8/29/06, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
[snip]

> > While I'm at it, can I get some notion from the list of how common
> > laptops with dead pixels are? IMO companies should HAVE to replace
> > units with dead/discoloured pixels, no matter how many. People don't
> > buy these things expecting them to be broken out of the box, so why
> > put up with it?
>
>         I've done better with laptops than other devices (e.g. cell phones,
> PDA's, etc.). If I look hard enough, I can probably tell you at least
> one notable defect in every screen I've owned. Philips, Sony, Apple,
> Sharp... I'm a stickler for details though.
>
>         On the other hand, I tolerate more than I use to. Nothing comes out
> of the factory in perfect condition, so its a matter of finding the
> best quality while expecting some defects even in such a beast. Given
> that I've never seen a perfect screen, I live with it because there
> is no other choice. If there are dead pixels, my pickiness about that
> is directly proportionate to how much I spent on the screen, I
> suppose. But, I can demand a replacement as much as I want: I've not
> yet seen a perfect screen (and I bet anyone who claims they have
> simply hasn't looked hard enough).

I guess I should take a closer look at my desktop LCD. It was a
generic brand name as far as I can tell, the only distinguishing logo
or writing on it is "V7" on the front. I have not seen any defects in
the screen itself, as for the built in speakers though, the volume is
weak.

After all this talk about LCDs and such I payed more attention to
watching for dead pixels, and what I've noticed is that the samsung
monitors used at work have dead pixels. In fact both of the two
monitors in the front of the store have at least three dead pixels
each. The key issues here with the dead pixels is the cost of the
units, LCDs should either lower in cost or increase in reliability.
Noticing these defects made me feel that much better about my Toshiba
laptop though, it's given me a frame of reference for what is a broken
LCD, whereas before I was just used to CRT's and never had to worry
about such a thing as dead or slightly off-colour pixels.