[CS-FSLUG] LCD screens and Warranties

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Aug 29 23:21:30 CDT 2006

> What about discolouration? I have some blotches on the screen within
> reasonable range of the dead pixel that are only slightly lighter than
> the rest of the display I'm sure they comprise more than 8 or even 10
> [..]
> phrase just how mad these display issues make me, for something that
> cost me over 1000$, which was at least a months total wages at the
> time to have such noticeable display issues is unacceptable. Toshiba
> will not get another cent out of me.

	The discoloration will help your attempts to get service. I've never
owned a Toshiba, but I'd say this: do give them a chance to make good
on the warranty before you judge them. Computers just fail, no matter
how good the manufacturer.

> While I'm at it, can I get some notion from the list of how common
> laptops with dead pixels are? IMO companies should HAVE to replace
> units with dead/discoloured pixels, no matter how many. People don't
> buy these things expecting them to be broken out of the box, so why
> put up with it?

	I've done better with laptops than other devices (e.g. cell phones,
PDA's, etc.). If I look hard enough, I can probably tell you at least
one notable defect in every screen I've owned. Philips, Sony, Apple,
Sharp... I'm a stickler for details though.

	On the other hand, I tolerate more than I use to. Nothing comes out
of the factory in perfect condition, so its a matter of finding the
best quality while expecting some defects even in such a beast. Given
that I've never seen a perfect screen, I live with it because there
is no other choice. If there are dead pixels, my pickiness about that
is directly proportionate to how much I spent on the screen, I
suppose. But, I can demand a replacement as much as I want: I've not
yet seen a perfect screen (and I bet anyone who claims they have
simply hasn't looked hard enough).

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas