[CS-FSLUG] LCD screens and Warranties

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 00:20:24 CDT 2006

On 8/28/06, veritosproject at gmail.com <veritosproject at gmail.com> wrote:
> Usually you need like 8 dead pixels in a certain radius before they talk to you.

What about discolouration? I have some blotches on the screen within
reasonable range of the dead pixel that are only slightly lighter than
the rest of the display I'm sure they comprise more than 8 or even 10
pixels, even if they're only just barely noticeable I catch then in
the corner of my eye and I feel a compulsive need to take cleaner to
the screen. Frankly, although the display is still usable, the
discoloured blotches are much more noticeable than the dead pixel and
they drive me crazy so much so that I don't want to use the laptop at
all any more. I don't even want to see it, but I'm reluctant to buy
another if the same thing is going to happen again. I can't politely
phrase just how mad these display issues make me, for something that
cost me over 1000$, which was at least a months total wages at the
time to have such noticeable display issues is unacceptable. Toshiba
will not get another cent out of me.

I'd still like to take the screen in and find out if it can be
replaced under warranty, if I don't at least try I'll be kicking
myself for it later, besides it'll give me something to do at work.

While I'm at it, can I get some notion from the list of how common
laptops with dead pixels are? IMO companies should HAVE to replace
units with dead/discoloured pixels, no matter how many. People don't
buy these things expecting them to be broken out of the box, so why
put up with it?