[CS-FSLUG] Query: 64-bit vs 32-bit

gginorio at sbcglobal.net gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 29 18:10:48 CDT 2006

Actually,

> What other differences do you folks know about? I'd be especially
> interested in technical details you can relate in simpler terms. For
> example, I know it means more RAM can be addressed.

I my 64bit machine should be arriving any day now. I ordered an Athlon AMD 64 4200 dual core machine. I mainly want the speed for converting videos (ffmpeg, Avidemux and such) which is alot of what I've been doing lately. That said, it appears that I'm an early adopter in the 64bit market; I'm giving up alot by not going P4 or AMD 32bit.

I am also interested in the techical differences. I plan to run alot of CPU and Memory hogging apps so I hope that, aside form gaming, the machine will be worth the extra expense I put into it. The board has HDMI hook ups for HDTV, Firewire 800 ports and quad stereo (whatever that is). I sure hope I can take advantage of those technologies in Linux as well as in Windows.

I guess we'll see what happens when it gets here,

Gabe Ginorio