[CS-FSLUG] Query: 64-bit vs 32-bit

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Aug 29 17:32:46 CDT 2006

After using it for some months, I discovered by accident my "new" system
is 64-bit. I was researching what compilation flags the CPU would honor,
and found it was K8. When I dropped a 64-bit boot CD and there was no
error; it ran just fine.

For now I'm running CentOS x86-64. I noticed there are some distinct
differences: some positives, some negatives and some things simply
different.

Good: nVidia makes a 64-bit driver, so that gives me over 3500FPS. The
pointer is more consistent, especially noticeable when dragging
something across the screen. Most apps start a little faster.

Bad: In Linux, you lose things from outside suppliers, like Flash, Java
plugins, Mplayer/Xine won't show WMV files, and so forth. While I could
easily run a 32-bit browser and add all those things, CentOS has no easy
way to cover all the dependencies for that -- and they are substantial.
For the most part, I really don't care about those things. Also, the
system keeps more RAM tied up than under 32-bit.

Simply different: The verbiage in dmesg changes somewhat. There seems to
be a slight difference in a lot of little things of no consequence, like
some logging, the placement of system libs, etc.

What other differences do you folks know about? I'd be especially
interested in technical details you can relate in simpler terms. For
example, I know it means more RAM can be addressed.

--
Ed Hurst