[CS-FSLUG] DNS services declining

Lincoln Fessenden l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Sat Aug 26 10:16:57 CDT 2006

Ed Hurst wrote:
> Tim noted on his blog he had trouble connecting to his own server, which
> hosts this list, among other things, because of DNS not resolving.
> However, little else was affected:
>
>     http://asisaid.com/journal/article/1017.html
>
> I'm experience some of the same sort of issue. The same server hosts my
> websites, and I have inconsistent DNS resolution, too. Some times it's
> great; other times it's slow. I have similar intermittent issues with
> the odd collection of sites I visit each day. This problem has appeared
> in the last couple of weeks.
>
> I've tried using traceroute to test the path. I can find it's usually
> outside my DSL provider's network, but cannot otherwise identify a
> consistent culprit.
>
> Does anyone know a better tool? Are others here being affected? Is there
> something going on out there not publicized?

Traceroute would be the one I would use.  Well, that and ping one in a
while.  I haven't had an troubles at all lately and I will say I
switched recently to a new hosting provider who seems to be really
great!  If you guys are ever interested in switching up, please contact
me for a rerferral.  The host is http://bluehost.com

--
-Linc Fessenden