[CS-FSLUG] Not about Linux or is it?

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:31:38 CDT 2006

I just installed Freespire on my laptop...without thinking first.  I
had XP on the laptop for a reason but it was forgotten in the
excitement of finally getting Linux on it.  I should have done it in a
separate partition, but I didnt.

In the process of wiping out XP I also wiped out the software that
allowed me to connect to the internet through my Sanyo cell phone.
OK, I got that back after much pulling of hair...not from
Sprint...they didnt even know what I was talking about even though
they were the ones that furnished me with the software in the
beginning.  And they are the ones that own the system that was talking
to THAT software just a week ago.

But now I find that ....and I remember this , now......that I also had
to have a USB driver that matched the Sanyo SCP 4900 telephone cable.
Well, where I found the modem software was on an old CD that luckily I
had burned as a backup in case Sprint ever failed me...as they did
today.  AND on that CD is a directory called Sanyo USB drivers.  There
are three files in that directory and all are INF files.

Now the the questions that all this build up was leading toward.  How
does one "install" an INF file?  Where does one install an INF file?
How does the computer know where it is?  AND most importantly, is that
INF file the only think I need to get the cell phone talking to the
USB port ?  Other that, of course, the modem software that I have
already reinstalled.

But a really great question to have answered in the affirmative would
be, "Can I find a way for Freespire to run the modem software and the
USB connection so I dont have to put Uncle Bills software back on the
laptop."

Both the computers on the home network are all running Linux now so it
would be great to be able to run the laptop on it also...if it were
not for this one piece of software that I need to get connected to the
internet thru the Sprint Vision connection.

--
Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."