[CS-FSLUG] [Linux4christians] Re: NIV Bible for Linux (off list topic)

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Mon Aug 14 21:50:45 CDT 2006

>> One example here is the word let.  In previous times it meant to
>> hinder, but now it means to allow (eg. Romans 1:13).
[snip]
> I wanted the references where you got your
> understanding of the word "let".  I can find no place in the KJV that
> would match your old definition.  Let means allow each time I can come
> across it there, just as it does now.

He did provide the reference of Rom 1:13.

Romans 1:13 (KJV)
"13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I
purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have
some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles."

Interesting.  I hadn't heard of this before (that I recall), but after
some investigation, I found this:

While usually let means allow or permit
(http://www.bartleby.com/61/96/L0129600.html)

But even today it can mean almost the opposite (think of "let" in tennis
or table tennis):
(http://www.bartleby.com/61/97/L0129700.html)

They come from different roots, one root (laetan) meaning "to allow,
leave undone, from Germanic *letan;" and the other (lettan) meaning "to
hinder, impede (< “to make late”), from Germanic *latjan;"
(http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE265.html)

I learned something new today.

sjm