[CS-FSLUG] Still a "cult leader"

edoc7 edoc7 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 4 08:54:09 CDT 2006

>> When I joined this list I honestly expected what I normally get from
>> my church (cross and flag idolatry).  Instead I get a lot of people
>> like me--that are fed up with a government that calls itself Christian
>> but doesn't support Christ's values.
>
> Normally I wouldn't speak to this directly on the list, but I agree with
> you and not with doc. It's not about animosity and arguing; I won't
> debate, will hardly even discuss it here, because I think it's
> inappropriate for this particular forum. However, we moderators agreed a
> simple comment here and there is tolerable. I suppose I'm willing to
> answer questions, but not under the cover of disputing.
>
> If you would like to commiserate further, email me off list.

We are suffering another language challenge.

"Argue" in the context of discussion is *not* about
being disagreeable but about presenting differing
perspectives in search of truth.

I don't know about the pejoratives "cross and flag idolatry".
It is impossible to over-value the Cross, so attacking
that dances terribly close to Biblical heresy.

As for "flag idolatry" there is a difference between
nationalism and fanaticism and to suggest that they are
the same is irresponsible.  The model for felicity to
ones nation is the Bible - the nation of Israel.

We are taught by the Bible to honor our leaders because
God allows them into power.  There is no Biblical
argument against that.  I was bound to be respectful
toward Bill Clinton even as he emulated some of the worse
of the godless kings of Israel and those of liberal stripe
are bound to be respectful of President Bush even when
they disagree with his leadership choices.  To do otherwise
is rebellion against God.  (I recommend "Under Cover" as
a challenging Biblical treatment of the subject.)

To quote a former Prof. I presented what I did "without
fear of successful contradiction".

I have studied the facts and there has yet to be anything
published anywhere that I have seen that successfully
contradicts what I wrote.

Lots of wishful thinking, lots of political correctness,
lots of out-of-context criticism, but few if any facts
of use to those who would argue from the other side.

I will note in closing that I have taught American
Federal Government in community college and Bible college
classrooms to students of varying ages and experiences
and across them they were unable to bring any resource
to bear that successfully contradicted what I shared
here.

I am happy to review well written arguments that hold
a differing view.  I reject the mis-labeling of me as
"disputing".

"Come, let us reason together." is a good verse, yet
the model of God in Job hardly mitigates against a
hearty challenge of differing opinions!

Blessings ... David