[CS-FSLUG] TD: Gospel of Judas

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 9 15:36:42 CDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 12:14 -0500, Timothy Butler wrote:

> > Seminary is not the way to attain knowledge of Jesus.  I've seen too
> > many people turned away from Jesus because of seminary.  I would much
> > rather be a "layman" who knows Jesus than a "priest" or "scholar" that
> > wonders if He is real.  Something to think about before plunging into
> > seminary: Jesus wants workers, not theologians.
>
> 	I don't think there is really a distinction there. Theologians, at
> least true ones, aren't just reciting dusty old lines of theology,
> but constantly seeking to provide new and helpful understandings to
> faith. Especially in this day and age where faith is constantly
> looked on as irrational, theologians perform (IMO) a useful service
> in showing how perfectly rational and comprehensive the Christian
> worldview can be.

After I sent my reply off I realized I didn't word it exactly as I
meant.  I did not mean to say that all theologians are bad or anything
of that sort.  My original idea was more along the lines of this:  You
don't have to go to seminary to know the Bible.  I get tired of hearing
people say they didn't go to Bible school so they can't answer this or
that.

I also, like Chris mentioned, do not like the massive selling out of
Biblical values at a lot of seminaries to get the federal dollars or for
PC reasons.  These are filth and shouldn't be allowed to claim to be a
Bible school in my opinion.

Sorry if my poor wording caused any frustration in my previous post.  I
know that Jesus can you anyone, even those theologians out there.  ;-)

Brian