[CS-FSLUG] OT: Seminary [was TD: Gospel of Judas]

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 9 14:06:16 CDT 2006

Indeed sir,

>> Seminary is not the way to attain knowledge of Jesus.  I've seen too
>> many people turned away from Jesus because of seminary.  I would much
>> rather be a "layman" who knows Jesus than a "priest" or "scholar" that
>> wonders if He is real.  Something to think about before plunging into
>> seminary: Jesus wants workers, not theologians.
>
> 	I don't think there is really a distinction there. Theologians, at
> least true ones, aren't just reciting dusty old lines of theology,
> but constantly seeking to provide new and helpful understandings to
> faith. Especially in this day and age where faith is constantly
> looked on as irrational, theologians perform (IMO) a useful service
> in showing how perfectly rational and comprehensive the Christian
> worldview can be.

I attended seminary myself.  Fortunately, God led me to a well rounded
school with a wide variety of voices.  Although there were some teachers
that were "out there", the crossover in the classes and the
concentration on the Word of God kept our heads on straight.

That said, it is difficult to find a seminary that hasn't "compromised"
the "literal" truths.  This means that you can get strange views of
Revelation, the gospels and even Genesis.  It is my opinion that, and I
hate to say this, that if one is looking for a good, solidly biblical
seminary, then one must seek a "conservative" seminary that holds fast
to the literal truths of the Bible.

Another thing I hate to say is that many denominations have folded to
modern political pressure and pin their hopes on votes or have given
into political correctness,  I fear it is the end for them, "having a
form of religion" but denying it's power.