[CS-FSLUG] [OT] The Bible on How to Treat Aliens (or immigrants)

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:42:40 CDT 2006

Earlier today I found the following list of Biblical quotations on a
blogsite that I read from time to time.  I don't always agree with the
author on a number of issues, though I frequently appreciate his insight and
clear thinking on a range of church and culture-related subjects. In any
case, with the present heated debate in the USA about reform of the laws
that regulate immigration (especially from south of the border), I think it
is helpful to prayerfully reflect on what the Lord has declared on the
subject in His Holy Word.  Such reflection, I believe, can only help
Christians and Jews on any "side" of the debate.

=========================
BUILT ON A ROCK
=========================

http://billcork.blogspot.com/archives/2006_04_02_billcork_archive.html#114425755993193872

The Bible on How to Treat Aliens

Exodus 22:21 "Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens
in Egypt.

Exodus 23:9 "Do not oppress an alien; you yourselves know how it feels to be
aliens, because you were aliens in Egypt

Leviticus 19:10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the
grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the
LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:33 "'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat
him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born.
Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 25:23 "'The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is
mine and you are but aliens and my tenants.

Deuteronomy 10:18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and
loves the alien, giving him food and clothing.

Deuteronomy 10:19 And you are to love those who are aliens, for you
yourselves were aliens in Egypt.

Deuteronomy 24:14 Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and
needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your
towns.

Deuteronomy 24:17 Do not deprive the alien or the fatherless of justice, or
take the cloak of the widow as a pledge.

Deuteronomy 24:19ff When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a
sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and
the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your
hands. When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches
a second time. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the
widow. When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the
vines again. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow.

Deuteronomy 27:19 "Cursed is the man who withholds justice from the alien,
the fatherless or the widow." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

Jeremiah 7:6 if you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow
and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other
gods to your own harm,

Jeremiah 22:3 This is what the LORD says: Do what is just and right. Rescue
from the hand of his oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or
violence to the alien, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent
blood in this place.

Ezekiel 22:7 In you they have treated father and mother with contempt; in
you they have oppressed the alien and mistreated the fatherless and the
widow.

Ezekiel 22:29 The people of the land practice extortion and commit robbery;
they oppress the poor and needy and mistreat the alien, denying them
justice.

Zechariah 7:10 Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the
poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.'

Malachi 3:5 "So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to
testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who
defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless,
and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me," says the LORD Almighty.

http://billcork.blogspot.com/archives/2006_04_02_billcork_archive.html#114425755993193<http://billcork.blogspot.com/archives/2006_04_02_billcork_archive.html#114425755993193872>