[CS-FSLUG] [OT] The Bible on How to Treat Aliens (or immigrants)

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Apr 7 17:27:01 CDT 2006

Michael Bradley, Jr. wrote:

> The Bible on How to Treat Aliens
>
> Exodus 22:21 "Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens
> in Egypt.

[snip]

You take a rather unpopular position, Michael. However, I agree this
reflects the tenor of the whole Bible on dealing with peaceable
immigrants. When aliens become dangerous, we call them "invaders." When
the Philistines or Ammonites came into the land in hordes with the
intent of stripping away the sustenance of the inhabitants, it was no
longer a matter of welcoming the wandering alien.

When I deal with aliens on a personal basis, I am required at a minimum
to avoid hostile treatment. Jesus carried it further, adding I must be
prepared to offer what assistance I have, prayerfully considering in
each case what He would have me share. That may not always be what they
ask for, but I must be ready to give at His command.

Whether the current buzz is about aliens in need, or invaders intent on
destroying, is the crux of the debate. I keep a watchful eye on
rhetoric, not to join in some advocacy, but simply to observe. I don't
believe it's clear and simple God has taken sides on this. Drawing back
to a longer historical view, I'm guessing any legislation, or even mass
vigilante action, is too little too late for America as we know it.
There are good things being lost, yet much I wouldn't miss at all.

--
Ed Hurst