[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

Ciaran Hamilton cs-fslug at theblob.org
Wed Oct 26 16:37:28 CDT 2005

On Wed, October 26, 2005 5:20 pm, dmc said:
>> Like it or not, Christianity tells us *not to judge*. Yes, that INCLUDES
>> Gates, Ballmer, and Microsoft as a whole. Judgement is reserved for our
>> God. Let's focus on constructive criticism, not out-and-out attacks,
>> hmm?
>
> I sure pray that this horrific theology will one day be
> purged from Christian discourse -- as Steve Brown would
> say "It stinks and smells and comes from the pit of Hell."
>
> [snip]

Very good points there, dmc, but I think you misunderstood what I was
talking about.

> If Bill Gates uses his power to abuse others we are
> free to label his actions for what they are and to make
> decisions about avoiding helping him with our dollars.

I agree. That's not what I was talking about. What I was talking about was
quotes like these (and yes, I am aware that these go back for a few months
in some cases):

[2005-09-04 - talking about the OpenDocument standard and Microsoft's
refusal to support it:]
> They are driven by two people with MONSTROUS egos.....Gates and Ballmer.
> They are a marketing driven company, and neither one will unload their
> egos to do anything else.

[2005-07-26 - talking about Windows Vista, and what type of processor it
would need:]
> You don't expect anyone at MickySoft to be honest, do you? :)

[2005-05-08 - referring to a link that now seems to be dead, but was
talking about Microsoft:]
> *lol*  I wonder if this has anything to do with their personal
> sexual inclination.  :-)

...and others like it. I am *not* saying that companies and people can't
be called out on the bad things they do. I'll gladly tell everyone that IE
is far too insecure for its own good, and I will take up a stance of not
using it, and telling others about its insecurity. What I *won't* do is
make attacks on Microsoft that are, for the most part, unfounded. That
last quote in particular attacks a group of people - homosexuals - that
aren't even connected with the discussion.

These aren't isolated cases. I can post other examples if needed.

 - Ciaran.