[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 18:29:49 CDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> haven't personally done so yet because its sometimes interesting to hear
> about what Microsoft and Apple are up to, but aside from that I hate the

... then join a Microsoft list or an Apple list or read a Microsoft or
Apple news website (eg. microsoft-watch.com or macslash.org), and you
can hear all about them.

If you're looking for a daily news fix - even Linux-related - then
there are plenty of places out there that offer that as well -
NewForge.com, Slashdot.org, LWN.net, etc.  This provides an easy way
for those interested in that stuff to stay informed about what's going
on.

If you're looking for a joke-of-the-day, then signup for a
joke-of-the-day list - there's plenty out there I suspect.

If you're looking for more information about current political issues,
there's also websites for that (a few Canadian examples:
evangelicalfellowship.ca, lifesite.net, familyfacts.ca)

There are plenty of mailing lists / website out there, if you want to
receive information on this stuff, and nothing limits you from joining
another one of those mailing lists if you wish to opt-in to this sort
of extra news.  If everything makes it to the one list, then its more
difficult for those of us who simply don't care (much) about the issue
to avoid it.

>  It would be nice if we could have more discussions pertaining to Linux and
> BSD, I would really like to learn more about my hobby but we never seem to
> discuss the latest new software and tricks, instead we've pretty much let
> the list turn itself into a junk drawer for news and politics :-p .

I suspect that the number of off-topic postings means that fewer
people subscribe to the list, and therefore less discussion ensues.
This is probably the most consistently 'off topic' mailing list that
I'm part of, and I do think if that drives people away from it.

At one point a while back, I was about ready to unsubscribe as the
constant off-topic postings were driving me crazy, and I think that
that led to the current NI flag.  I'd still prefer that most of the NI
messages not be posted, but at least now I have an easier way to
filter them.  I suppose that that's not enough for some though, and I
can definitely sympathize with that.

David Aikema