[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:12:33 CDT 2005

On 10/25/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> > haven't personally done so yet because its sometimes interesting to hear
> > about what Microsoft and Apple are up to, but aside from that I hate the
>
> ... then join a Microsoft list or an Apple list or read a Microsoft or
> Apple news website (eg. microsoft-watch.com <http://microsoft-watch.com>or
> macslash.org <http://macslash.org>), and you
> can hear all about them.
>
> If you're looking for a daily news fix - even Linux-related - then
> there are plenty of places out there that offer that as well -
> NewForge.com, Slashdot.org <http://Slashdot.org>, LWN.net, etc. This
> provides an easy way
> for those interested in that stuff to stay informed about what's going
> on.

I don't like Slashdot, that place is a festering cesspool of Darwinism. I am
running out of patience for those people and their "flying spaghetti
monsterism" comments when talking about God, every article about something
alive gets flooded with those comments.

If you're looking for a joke-of-the-day, then signup for a
> joke-of-the-day list - there's plenty out there I suspect.

Not me thanks.

If you're looking for more information about current political issues,
> there's also websites for that (a few Canadian examples:
> evangelicalfellowship.ca <http://evangelicalfellowship.ca>, lifesite.net<http://lifesite.net>,
> familyfacts.ca <http://familyfacts.ca>)

I hate politics.

There are plenty of mailing lists / website out there, if you want to
> receive information on this stuff, and nothing limits you from joining
> another one of those mailing lists if you wish to opt-in to this sort
> of extra news. If everything makes it to the one list, then its more
> difficult for those of us who simply don't care (much) about the issue
> to avoid it.

I'm guessing you're airing your frustration more than simply replying to me,
or perhaps you've mistakenly confused me as someone who posts that stuff.

> It would be nice if we could have more discussions pertaining to Linux and
> > BSD, I would really like to learn more about my hobby but we never seem
> > discuss the latest new software and tricks, instead we've pretty much
> let
> > the list turn itself into a junk drawer for news and politics :-p .
>
> I suspect that the number of off-topic postings means that fewer
> people subscribe to the list, and therefore less discussion ensues.
> This is probably the most consistently 'off topic' mailing list that
> I'm part of, and I do think if that drives people away from it.
>
> At one point a while back, I was about ready to unsubscribe as the
> constant off-topic postings were driving me crazy, and I think that
> that led to the current NI flag. I'd still prefer that most of the NI
> messages not be posted, but at least now I have an easier way to
> filter them. I suppose that that's not enough for some though, and I
> can definitely sympathize with that.

I think we should have a few more flags, as far as I know NI simply stands
for news items.
Suggestions:
FI: Faith interest: Christian news, things that aren't really conversation.
LI: Linux interests: For those of us who might be interested in posting logs
of what we've done or learned about Linux lately, should also be used for
things like news items relating directly to Linux as well as things like the
monthly distribution list we used to have, I might restart that if I find
time for it again.
PI: Political items: self explanatory :-)

Of course most posts could continue without flags, too many rules or
enforcing the rules too strongly would only serve to scare away list
members. What I think is really missing is simply more posts about Linux,
perhaps someone should try to start a Linux conversation every once in a
while. I remember when Chris would write short reviews of Linux software, I
was writing the monthly distribution lists and we would have a few light
hearted distro flamewars, that stuff does get a little old if overused, but
without some of that we really don't talk about Linux much do we. As for the
distro flamewars though I think some people let it get a little too
personal, perhaps we should find an alternative to that.