[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:04:43 CDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/25/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you're looking for a daily news fix - even Linux-related - then
> > there are plenty of places out there that offer that as well -
> > NewForge.com, Slashdot.org , LWN.net, etc.  This provides an easy way
> > for those interested in that stuff to stay informed about what's going
> > on.
>
>  I don't like Slashdot, that place is a festering cesspool of  Darwinism. I
> am running out of patience for those people and their "flying spaghetti
> monsterism" comments when talking about God, every article about something
> alive gets flooded with those comments.

Well, if you don't care for Slashdot that still leaves those two other
sites reccomended (and that list was just off the top of my head -
there's likely a lot more such sources out there).

> > If you're looking for a joke-of-the-day, then signup for a
> > joke-of-the-day list - there's plenty out there I suspect.
>
>  Not me thanks.
>
> > If you're looking for more information about current political issues,
> > there's also websites for that (a few Canadian examples:
> > evangelicalfellowship.ca, lifesite.net, familyfacts.ca)
>
>  I hate politics.

Those were intended more as suggestions for where those interested
could look if they're interested in following conversations on the
topic, rather than being aimed at you.  And, those together seem to
comprise the majority of off-topic comments.

> > There are plenty of mailing lists / website out there, if you want to
> > receive information on this stuff, and nothing limits you from joining
> > another one of those mailing lists if you wish to opt-in to this sort
> > of extra news.  If everything makes it to the one list, then its more
> > difficult for those of us who simply don't care (much) about the issue
> > to avoid it.
>
>  I'm guessing you're airing your frustration more than simply replying to
> me, or perhaps you've mistakenly confused me as someone who posts that
> stuff.

Well, you've said that you're looking for information about Microsoft
and Apple's dealings, but that seems often off-topic (the exception
being where it relates to open source).  I personally have a bit of an
interest in politics, but I'll agree that that's also by-and-large
off-topic for the list.

You seemed to be suggested that you wanted to hear more about
Microsoft and Apple, and it sounded like you were expecting that from
the list.  If we have one area where we're constantly off-topic then
you really shouldn't be too surprised to find us off-topic in another
area as well (and it becomes difficult to argue for a ban on political
discussions, as it seems you'd like, if they're not the only off-topic
things on the list).  I don't mind an occasional off-topic discussion,
but here we seem to be more off-topic than on.

>  I think we should have a few more flags, as far as I know NI simply stands
> for news items.
>  Suggestions:
>  FI: Faith interest: Christian news, things that aren't really conversation.
>  LI: Linux interests: For those of us who might be interested in posting
> logs of what we've done or learned about Linux lately, should also be used
> for things like news items relating directly to Linux as well as things like
> the monthly distribution list we used to have, I might restart that if I
> find time for it again.
>  PI: Political items: self explanatory :-)

Regarding "Christian news" there are also others sites and mailing
lists that you could join if you're interested in the topic.  (I'm
just wondering what you classify "Christian news."  I'm suspecting
that Christdot.org might fall into the category though.

Why should we be flagging Linux items, given that that seems to me to
be rather on-topic for the list?

Should we really be having so many poltical messages on the list to
justify their classification as a separate category?

In basically all other lists that I participate in, an OT (off topic)
flag is sufficient, as there's little enough off-topic discussion that
this does not pose a problem.  Perhaps just the existance of multiple
off-topic discussion flags is a sign that there's too much off-topic
conversation in the list?

David