[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:30:06 CDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Bob Brown <bebrown at gmail.com> wrote:

> I signed up for a list to learn about Linux.
> Instead, I receive all sorts of off topic news items and useless crud
> messages.
>
> Could a separate list be created for the useless stuff and the Linux
> list be used for Linux stuff?
>
> I will probably just cut my losses and unsubscribe completely.
>

> I should probably take some time to cool off and not send this
> immediately, but I have felt this way many times in the past and I
> believe that many others do as well.

I agree there is a lot of political messages and news going around in this
list, although that is what the NI: in the subject lines of messages is for.
If your mail client allows you to filter it I would recommend doing so, I
haven't personally done so yet because its sometimes interesting to hear
about what Microsoft and Apple are up to, but aside from that I hate the
political mail since I have no interest in that stuff and find most of it to
be little more than advertising.

I think for the most part people are prepending NI: to most messages that
aren't directly related to Linux, some refinement and public posting of this
system would be nice, perhaps someone could even include the rules in the
monthly membership reminders.

As for discussing Linux, we haven't really done that in a long time. I do
some volunteer work for Ark Linux but don't write much about that because no
one has ever asked about it and sometimes a long time will go by before I'll
have any new news to post.

It would be nice if we could have more discussions pertaining to Linux and
BSD, I would really like to learn more about my hobby but we never seem to
discuss the latest new software and tricks, instead we've pretty much let
the list turn itself into a junk drawer for news and politics :-p .