[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 14:41:40 CDT 2005

 > Bob Brown wrote:
> I signed up for a list to learn about Linux.
> Instead, I receive all sorts of off topic news items and useless crud messages.
>
> Could a separate list be created for the useless stuff and the Linux
> list be used for Linux stuff?

Since the list purpose was to discuss the link between
faith and Linux perhaps the "rule" might be -- if you
cannot link your post "directly" to Linux then don't post
it here?

The moderators could create a CS-FSLUG-OT list for all
of the non-Linux topics that folks wish to discuss and
those who have time and interest for that could choose
to also subscribe to that list.

I subscribe to many dozens of lists on many different
topics and they are filtered into different folders
before I ever see them.

When I want to read general Christian discussion I go to
my Christian folder, when general technology (incl. stuff
about M$, Apple, etc) I go to another folder, when I want
to read about Linux then that folder, etc.

When a list becomes too eclectic then it becomes unacceptably
time consuming to sift through the noise for the substance.

Just a thought ...

--
Respectfully,

David Colburn, D.Min., M.A.Co.