[CS-FSLUG] FreeBSD install question

NoSpam jevb at tuffmail.com
Sun Oct 23 12:06:02 CDT 2005

On Sun, October 23, 2005 5:26 am, Ed Hurst said:
> Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:
>> Ed, are you listening?
>
> Yup.
>
>> As usual, Windows is on hda1. That's where I want to put FreeBSD. So, the
>> question is, can I installl FBSD into that partition without disturbing any of
>> the other partitions? The reason I don't want to disturb any of the other
>> partitions is because I have Slackware on hda6, 7, & 8.
>
> FreeBSD needs about 4GB to function well, but with 10GB you can get the
> full effect of building larger projects from source. FreeBSD will slice
> up it's own partition automatically if you choose that option. Last time
> I checked, it can use Linux swap, because both use the same format --
> thus, saving space. I'm not sure if the installer will make that an
> obvious option. At any rate, there are several HOWTOs on making both
> GRUB and LILO see your BSD boot loader, so you can just tell the
> installer to "do nothing" at that point, or you can use a boot floppy.
>
> Other than that, you can use my walkthrough and it should work fine. See
> the computer help link in my sig.
>
> --
> Ed Hurst

Well, I guess I won't be installing FBSD. When I boot from the cd I get this:

vge0: MII read timed out
vge0: failed to start MII autopoll
vge0: MII without anyphy!
kernel trap 12 without interrupts disabled

Fatal trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode
.
.
.
lots of memory data

panic: page fault

I get the same results no matter what mode I boot the cd in, default, without ACPI,
SAFE MODE, all boot modes produce the same result.

I wonder if it's my motherboard. I have a SOYO KT880 based mobo.

"Praise the Lord, O my soul!" - Psalm 146:1