[CS-FSLUG] FreeBSD install question

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Oct 23 13:15:29 CDT 2005

NoSpam wrote:

> vge0: MII read timed out
> vge0: failed to start MII autopoll
> vge0: MII without anyphy!
> kernel trap 12 without interrupts disabled
>
> Fatal trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode

Note the issue is the "vge" driver for a specific piece of hardware: VIA
Gigabit Ethernet. Take a look at this:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=511549+0+archive/2005/freebsd-bugs/20050626.freebsd-bugs

My understanding of the issue is it works okay in 5.4 according to most
reports. The work-around for 6.0 is kinda clumsy, and involves blocking
the module loading until the system is up, then loading manually.

> I wonder if it's my motherboard. I have a SOYO KT880 based mobo.

Only if the VIA chipset is on-board. You can try 5.4. If this happened
with 5.4, wait a few months for 6.0 to have a bug-fix release.

--
Ed Hurst