[CS-FSLUG] FreeBSD install question

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Oct 23 07:26:05 CDT 2005

Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:
> Ed, are you listening?

Yup.

> As usual, Windows is on hda1. That's where I want to put FreeBSD. So, the
> question is, can I installl FBSD into that partition without disturbing any of
> the other partitions? The reason I don't want to disturb any of the other
> partitions is because I have Slackware on hda6, 7, & 8.

FreeBSD needs about 4GB to function well, but with 10GB you can get the
full effect of building larger projects from source. FreeBSD will slice
up it's own partition automatically if you choose that option. Last time
I checked, it can use Linux swap, because both use the same format --
thus, saving space. I'm not sure if the installer will make that an
obvious option. At any rate, there are several HOWTOs on making both
GRUB and LILO see your BSD boot loader, so you can just tell the
installer to "do nothing" at that point, or you can use a boot floppy.

Other than that, you can use my walkthrough and it should work fine. See
the computer help link in my sig.

--
Ed Hurst