[CS-FSLUG] Troubleshooting Installation Failures

.mash re.mash at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 14:25:10 CDT 2005

On 10/22/05, Don Parris <evangelinux at matheteuo.org> wrote:
> I've got an older box (300MHz/256RAM/6GB Seagate Medalist HDD) that seems to
> fail on installation.  The box originally experienced problems under Windows
> about 6 months ago, and was considered to be a virus box.  I loaded Ubuntu
> 4.10 - problem solved.  However, now I need to upgrade, but can't get ANY
> distro to install.  Not even the Ubuntu 4.10.  I've tried Ubuntu 5.04, SUSE
> 10.0 OSS *and* the commercial edition.  All do great right up to the point
> where the files transfer to the HDD.  Almost everything fails.  Ubuntu even
> brought me to the horrid Debian package selection utility I loathe.

So when does it fail, on the install of software or during the kernel boot ?

Might be worthwhile doing a sdisk/fdisk for bad sectors ?

You siad you got Ubuntu on there but failed when you upgraded, how
when the packages were installing ?

Why don't you try and boot off a Knoppix disc and and then run some disk
checking tools.

'mash