[CS-FSLUG] Troubleshooting Installation Failures

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Sat Oct 22 13:45:22 CDT 2005

I've got an older box (300MHz/256RAM/6GB Seagate Medalist HDD) that seems to
fail on installation.  The box originally experienced problems under Windows
about 6 months ago, and was considered to be a virus box.  I loaded Ubuntu
4.10 - problem solved.  However, now I need to upgrade, but can't get ANY
distro to install.  Not even the Ubuntu 4.10.  I've tried Ubuntu 5.04, SUSE
10.0 OSS *and* the commercial edition.  All do great right up to the point
where the files transfer to the HDD.  Almost everything fails.  Ubuntu even
brought me to the horrid Debian package selection utility I loathe.

My guess is the hard drive.  However, I can't seem to get other HDDs to even
be recognized on this box. :-(  Any ideas? I'm definitely lost.  I'm
thinking seriously about just telling the poor lady she needs a new box.

Don