[CS-FSLUG] Another SUSE complaint

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 15 14:40:37 CDT 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 1:44 pm, Nathan T. wrote:
> That doesn't really answer my questions though, I got the DVD eval version
> which was supposed to have non-OSS software and that does play mp3's out of
> the box although only through the Helix backend which is very slow to
> respond to volume changes in the only KDE program that can use it. I can't
> remember if you told me whether the box set includes all the available
> codecs for multimedia support or not, although I'm hoping it does. Right
> now it seems the only problem I can find with SUSE is a lack of codecs,
> when I feel confident enough that it would be a worthwhile investment I
> would more than gladly buy a boxed set if it has all the codecs installed
> (ie: multimedia support on par with what Windows and Mac OS can have) with
> the distribution itself.

The eval DVD is a tad over a gig in size. The boxed DVD is on a dual layer DVD
because it's so large due to it being a "full" release. You AREN'T getting
all of the lib's, etc., on the eval DVD. If you want it all, then buy it.
There simply are way toooooo many legal issues for any company to start
giving away something they MUST pay for to be legal. MickySoft and others are
just waiting to take Linux companies to court!!!

Fred

--
Paid purchaser of ALL SuSE Linux releases since 6.x