[CS-FSLUG] Another SUSE complaint

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 15 13:05:47 CDT 2005

Interesting,

> That doesn't really answer my questions though, I got the DVD eval
> version which was supposed to have non-OSS software and that does play
> mp3's out of the box although only through the Helix backend which is
> very slow to respond to volume changes in the only KDE program that
> can use it. I can't remember if you told me whether the box set
> includes all the available codecs for multimedia support or not,
> although I'm hoping it does. Right now it seems the only problem I can
> find with SUSE is a lack of codecs, when I feel confident enough that
> it would be a worthwhile investment I would more than gladly buy a
> boxed set if it has all the codecs installed (ie: multimedia support
> on par with what Windows and Mac OS can have) with the distribution
> itself.

I'm thinking seriously about giving puppy a try, but until then I should
note that Amarok, which I am using on Ubuntu 5.10, uses the GStreamer
backend. It has a selection in the preferences that allows you choose
the engine it uses ... at least on Ubuntu. The Gstreamer engine is
native to Linux and runs like a native app. I don't even see an option
for Helixplayer engine on mine. Must be a hack. :P

Gabe